We just got home from such a lovely long weekend camping at Lake Saint George Campground in Liberty, Maine. Papa Bear and I have spent some time in Maine before. For this trip we were looking for a location where we could just relax and not necessarily sight see. Lake Saint George was an absolutely idyllic lake that completely fit the bill! There was a beach front playground for Baby Bear, the water (although COLD!) was crystal clear, and the rocky shoreline along the lake was beautiful.
Lake Saint George State Park is located in the Mid-Coast region of Maine between Augusta and Belfast. The park is right off of Route 3 which runs east and west. From the south, the easiest way to get there is via I-95 / I-295 North or Route 1 North to Route 3.
- 1 1/2 hours from Portland, Maine
- 3 hours from Boston
- 4 1/2 hours from Montpelier, Vermont
Where to Stay
The park has a medium sized campground that can accommodate a range of tents through large RVs. There aren’t any hook-ups available, but there is a dump station, potable water, and hot showers.
We stayed in spot 38. It was incredibly sloped, but we made it work with a couple of blocks. We had our own “water access” for the pups to swim and for us to put in the kayak. If we were to go back, spots 19 and 33 looked great as well! (for our 23ft travel trailer and truck)
Reservations can be made online through the Maine State Park Campground Reservations System.
What to do
Lake Saint George is the central feature of the town of Liberty, Maine, but there are a few other attractions in the area. The lake itself has a camping area and a day use area. We were there for Memorial Day weekend. Although the campground was mostly full, the day use area and the attractions in “town” were fairly empty. I have a feeling it does become more crowded in the peak summer season.
Around the lake
- Boating / kayaking / canoeing: boat launch is located just next to the campground and canoes are available for rent
- Fishing: landlocked salmon and brook trout apparently live in the lake, but we didn’t have any luck
- Hiking trails
- Playground, volleyball, and basketball courts
- Day use area has picnic tables and grills
Town of Liberty
- John’s Ice Cream Factory: over 20 flavors of ice cream and hand made ice cream sandwiches- all delicious! (we went twice) It is CASH ONLY, but there is a gas station right next door with an ATM if you need to stop by.
- Lori’s Cafe: cute little cafe right next to John’s. The seafood platter was HUGE and incredibly tasty, especially the fried scallops.
- Lake St. George Brewing Company: we didn’t actually make it here, but it is right on Route 3. The reviews on Yelp are all good and say that there is a fun outdoor yard game area that sounds fun!