Now that it is finally starting to warm up, I have been looking for recipes that are cool and refreshing! Although the ingredients for this recipe are perfect as a fall side dish, it is also a lovely summer meal! This salad is so hearty that you can serve it alone or along side some grilled chicken.
I try to have another meal with roasted sweet potatoes and wild rice in the same week. That way I can double those ingredients and only have to cook them once. If I make the sweet potatoes and rice the day before, they are already cooled and ready to be tossed together in this salad! I do all of my meal planning on our family calendar so I can easily see what’s scheduled each day and move meals around if things come up.
Lastly, I included a recipe for dressing on here, but sometimes I just use whatever dressing we have on hand…or just some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Without dressing, this salad will keep well and is filling enough to be a great lunch option!
This recipe is from Chelsea at Chelsea’s Messy Apron.
Please leave a comment / picture / rating when you taste it and let me know what you think.
Want some more delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly? Make sure you sign up for the Meal of the Week! Are you already signed up? Then share with a friend!
Sweet Potato and Wild Rice Salad
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package 4.3 ounce Long Grain and Wild Rice Mix or Homemade Version Below
- 1 large apple (I like Honey Crisp)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds - feel free to toast in a dry skillet if you are feeling fancy!
- 8-10 ounces mixed greens lettuce
- crumbled goat cheese or feta
Homemade Wild Rice
- 2/3 cup wild rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 2/3 cups cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon EACH oregano, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder
Lemon Balsamic Dressing
- 2 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel and chop the sweet potato into small chunks. Toss the potato chunks in 1 tablespoon olive oil plus some salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip and return to the oven.Bake for another 10 minutes, and then flip againBake for 10 more minutes or until the potato chunks are tender and roasted through. (30 minutes total)
- Meanwhile, prepare the wild rice either according to the package directions if you are using a package mix OR according to the directions in the recipe below this one (for a homemade version of seasoned wild rice).
- Combine the roasted sweet potato with the cooked wild rice in a large bowl and place in the fridge while prepping the dressing.
- Chop up an apple and an avocado. Toss both together with the 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Add to the cooled potato + wild rice mixture. Toss with the lettuce and add cranberries and almonds (you can toast almonds if desired by placing them in a dry skillet over medium heat and stirring until lightly fragrant watching carefully to not burn them.)
- Top with feta or crumbled goat cheese.
Instructions for wild rice
- Combine all of the ingredients in a pot over high heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- Cover the pot.
- Cook for about 45 minutes and then check. If tender, stop cooking and if not cook for another 10-15 minutes or until it is tender. Add additional broth if needed.
Instructions for dressing
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small blender. Blend until completely combined, taste, adjust to personal preference, and then pour into a dressing bottle or mason jar and place in the fridge.