This is one of my all time favorite soups and it is sooo easy to put together. Next time you are grocery shopping, pick up a rotisserie chicken and you are pretty much good to go. It is so fast and soo full of flavor!
I modified it slightly from the recipe I found on Fav Family Recipes to make it even easier. In the original recipe, the broth simmers for 2-3 hours and they use grilled chicken, which you certainly can try! Another idea would be to make the broth base and pop it in the crock pot for a few hours to simmer. This version is just a bit easier for the crazy weeknight dinners.
To spice it up a little more, feel free to add extra cayenne pepper or toss in some sliced jalapeño peppers.
Please leave a comment / picture / rating when you taste it and let me know what you think.
Want some more delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly? Make sure you sign up for the Meal of the Week!
Are you already signed up? Share with a friend!
- 1 onion diced
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 can pinto beans (14 oz) drained and rinsed
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- pico de gallo
- 2 avocados diced
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese
- tortilla strips or crumbled chips
- In a medium sauce pan, saute onion in oil until onions become slightly soft. Stir in cumin, cayenne, and chili powder and saute an additional minute or two.
- Add chicken broth, cliantro, lime juice, and pinto beans to onions and simmer.
- Next, combine taco seasoning and paprika. Toss shredded pieces of rotisserie chicken in spices.
- In individual bowls layer chicken, about 1/3 c. pico de gallo, 1/3 c. diced avocado, and 1/3 c. pepper jack cheese. Ladle about 1 cup of chicken broth directly over the layers. Top with tortilla strips/chips and garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.