Papa Bear and I have done our fair share of tent camping – backpacking into beautiful, remote locations and eating cans of baked beans or hot dogs. This was one of our first trips together, to Yosemite, long before Baby Bear came along!
We started our love for “glamping” when we lived in northern Nevada and became life long friends with “Great Aunt Mary” and her family. Mary and I worked as nurses together and were known as the “dynamic duo”. Together we are a force to be reckoned with! Here she is with Baby Bear shortly after he was born.
When we go “glamping”, we can cook much more than baked beans and hot dogs. There are the obvious camping foods…burgers…pancakes…etc, but one of our favorites is this white chicken chili!
I make mine slightly different than hers – I prefer shredded chicken to cubed chicken, but either will work! You can make it as spicy or mild as you like by adjusting the green chilies or crushed red pepper. For even more heat, try diced jalapeños or a few dashed of hot sauce. Not only is this one of our favorite camping meals, it’s a hit at chili cook-offs and it’s my go-to meal to bring to new mama friends. (Don’t forget the cornbread and s’mores rice crispies!)
Camping looks a lot different than it used to, but we love it just as much!
Please leave a comment / picture / rating when you taste it and let me know what you think.
Want some more delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly? Make sure you sign up for the Meal of the Week!
Are you already signed up? Share with a friend!
White Chicken Chili
- 1 ½ pound cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 3 15 oz cans great northern or cannelli beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 4 oz cans diced green chilies
- 1 cup greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 cup monteray jack cheese
- In a dutch oven, cook onions until soft and lightly brown
- Add in the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the greek yogurt and cheese
- Simmer on low until hot and bubbly
- Add in greek yogurt and cheese. Stir to combine and heat until cheese is melted